About Thomas Kinkade
An Interview with Thomas Kinkade
More About Thomas Kinkade
Thomas Kinkade is America’s most collected living artist, a painter-communicator whose tranquil, light infused paintings bring hope and joy to millions each year. Each painting Thomas Kinkade creates is a quiet messenger in the home, affirming the basic values of family and home, faith in God, and the luminous beauty of nature.
It was while growing up in the small town of Placeville, California that these simple, life-affirming values were instilled in him. It was also during this time that Thomas began to explore the world around him. He once spent a summer on a sketching tour with a college friend, producing the best selling instructional book, “The Artist’s Guide to Sketching.” The success of the book landed the two young artists at Ralph Bakshi Studios to create background art for the animation feature, “Fire and Ice,” where Kinkade was able to explore light and imaginative worlds with abandon.
After the film, Kinkade earned a living as a painter, selling his originals in galleries throughout California. In 1982, he married his childhood sweetheart, Nanette and two years later they began to publish his art.
FAMILY AND FAITH
Kinkade is a devout Christian and credits the Lord for both the ability and the inspiration to create his paintings. His goal as an artist is to touch people of all faiths, to bring peace and joy into their lives through the images he creates. The letters he receives every day testify to the fact that he is achieving this goal.
A devoted husband and doting father to their daughters, Kinkade hides the letter “N” in his paintings to pay tribute to his wife, Nanette, and the girls find their names and images in many of his paintings.
Warner Books has recently published Thomas Kinkade’s book Lightposts for Living which shares Thom’s inspiring words as well as his art. The result is a glorious volume, exquisitely designed to please the eye and the spirit. Each chapter acts like an old-fashioned lightpost illuminating the choices that enrich our lives.
AWARDS AND ACCOLADES
Kinkade has received numerous awards for his works. He has been named by the National Association of Limited Edition Dealers (NALED) as Graphic Artist of the Year for the fifth year in a row. He has also been named NALED’s Artist of the Year and his works have been named Graphic Art Print of the Year for eight years in a row.
Kinkade has also won the Collectors Edition Award of Excellence and was a charter inductee, along with his idol, Norman Rockwell, to the Bradford International Hall of Fame for plate artists. In 1989, he was the Official Artist for the National Parks Collector’s Print and has donated his art for the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) Christmas program, as well as, granting the VFW the right to use his images on their Christmas cards. Kinkade was also inducted into the US Art Hall of Fame in 1999.
© 2002 Thomas Kinkade, Media Arts Group, Inc., Morgan Hill, CA
The Awards for Thomas Kinkade
As of 3/6/01
Find Books by Thomas Kinkade
- 1989 Official Artist for the National Parks Collector’s Print for Yosemite Valley
- 1992 Moonlit Sleighride was named Graphic/Lithograph of the year by NALED
- 1993 The End of a Perfect Day was named Graphic/Lithograph of the year by NALED
- 1994 The End of a Perfect Day II was named Graphic/Lithograph of the year by NALED
- 1994 Thom was named Graphic Artist of the Year by NALED
- 1995 The End of a Perfect Day III was named Graphic/Lithograph of the year by NALED
- 1995 Thom was named Graphic Artist of the Year by NALED
- 1995 Thom was presented with the Collector Editions Award of Excellence
- 1995 Thom was named Artist to Watch by US Art Magazine
- 1996 Lamplight Bridge was named Graphic/Lithograph of the year by NALED
- 1996 Thom was named Graphic Artist of the Year by NALED
- 1997 Thom was named Graphic Artist of the Year by NALED
- 1997 The Light of Peace was named Graphic/Lithograph of the year by NALED
- Charter inductee into The Bradford International Hall of Fame for plate artists
- Only American artist to receive two Founders Awards from the National Parks Academy for the Arts
- 1998 Thom was named Graphic Artist of the Year by NALED
- 1998 Gardens Beyond Spring Gate was named Graphic/Lithograph of the year by NALED
- 1999 Inducted into the US Art Hall of Fame
- 1999 Thom was named Graphic Artist of the Year by NALED
- 1999 Forest Chapel was named Graphic/Lithographic of the year by NALED
- 2000 Winning Plate of the Year, Bradford Exchange, Holiday Gathering
To keep up-to-date, input your email address, and we will contact you on publication