A Scientific Investigation
ISBN 9780141002255 | 272 pages | 01 Dec 2001 | Penguin | 5.47 x 7.95in | 18 - AND UP
- eBook - ePub eBook: $12.99
Summary of Laughter Summary of Laughter Reviews for Laughter An Excerpt from Laughter
Do men and women laugh at the same things?Acknowledgments
Is laughter contagious?
Has anyone ever really died laughing?
Is laughing good for your health?
Drawing upon ten years of research into this most common-yet complex and often puzzling-human phenomenon, Dr. Robert Provine, the world's leading scientific expert on laughter, investigates such aspects of his subject as its evolution, its role in social relationships, its contagiousness, its neural mechanisms, and its health benefits. This is an erudite, wide-ranging, witty, and long-overdue exploration of a frequently surprising subject.
1. Laughter: An Introduction
2. The Road Not Taken: Philosophical and Theoretical Approaches to Laughter
3. Natural History of Laughter
4. Cracking the Laugh Code: From Sound Lab to Opera Studio
5. Chimpanzee Laughter, Speech Evolution, and Paleohumorology
6. Ticklish Relationships
7. Contagious Laughter and the Brain
8. Abnormal and Inappropriate Laughter: Clinical Perspectives
9. Laughing Your Way to Health
Appendix: Ten Tips for Increasing Laughter: Perspectives from the Mall, Workplace, and Clinic
"[A] well-written, often amusing and always fascinating exposé." Scientific American
To keep up-to-date, input your email address, and we will contact you on publication
Please alert me via email when: