The Book of Origins
Discover the Amazing Origins of the Clothes We Wear, the Food We Eat, the People We Know, the Languages We Speak, and the Things We Use
ISBN 9780452288324 | 320 pages | 29 May 2007 | Plume | 8.26 x 5.23in | 18 - AND UP
- eBook - ePub eBook: $12.99
Summary of The Book of Origins Summary of The Book of Origins Reviews for The Book of Origins An Excerpt from The Book of Origins
Read Trevor Homer's posts on the Penguin Blog.
Everything—from the mundane (the pencil) to the catastrophic (the atom bomb)—has an origin, but often it’s not what we expect. A few things you may not have known:
• Gandhi was married at age thirteen!
• Chinese fortune cookies are an American invention and were not eaten in China until the 1990s when they were advertised as “Genuine American Fortune Cookies.”
• Bayer lost the trademark for aspirin (which they had held since 1897) as part of the reparations Germany was forced to pay after World War I.
• The original idea for the electric chair came from an American dentist.
For aspiring mindblowers and wanna-be know-it-alls, The Book of Origins is a treasure trove of trivia and fascinating facts guaranteed to entertain and enlighten.
To keep up-to-date, input your email address, and we will contact you on publication
Please alert me via email when: