Looking for a gift for Dad? Penguin Classics has a new book that's perfect for dads of all kinds, from veterans and Civil War buffs, to gamblers and card sharks, to sports fans, cops, gearheads, aviators, paragliders, comic book aficionados, and connoisseurs of Americana. It's called Dashing Diamond Dick,
and it brings together five dime novels from the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, when they were as popular as today's comic booksor Us Weekly!
Small enough for Civil War soldiers to slip into their coat pockets, dime novels captured in popular fiction the larger-than-life characters from the early days of the American republiccharacters like Dashing Diamond Dick, a handsome gambler who defends the honor of a beautiful woman against the brute attentions of Tornado Tom; or the ambitious young inventor Frank Reade, who invents a newfangled flying machine so he can soar over the Andes; or the mythic baseball player Frank Merriwell, one of the most popular characters in the dime novel pantheon, who rallies his Yale teammates to defeat archrival Harvard; or the Liberty Boys of the American Revolution, who infiltrate the ranks of the British on Long Island; or the eminent New York detective Nick Carter, who pursues his nemesis, the mysterious Doctor Quartz. All are here in Dashing Diamond Dick, a one-of-a-kind book celebrating the valiant heroes and notorious rogues who gave rise to the icons of pulp novels, genre films, and comic books of today.
More picks for Dad this June 17th!
Instead of making the painstaking choice between another tie or baseball cap, or madly skimming through your digital photo archives for the perfect shot for grandpa, give the gift of a Penguin Classic for dear old Dad.
• for The Spy and Espionage Fan: Our Man in Havana by Graham Greene
• for The Fisherman: Moby-Dick by Herman Melville
• for The Reluctant Dieter: The Jungle by Upton Sinclair (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition)
• for The Commander-in-Chief: The Art of War by Sun-tzu (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition)
• for The Family Road Trip Master: Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck
• for The CEO: The Gospel of Wealth by Andrew Carnegie
• for The Inventor: Relativity by Albert Einstein
• for The Armchair Historian: Black Lamb and Grey Falcon by Rebecca West
• for The Patriarch: The Iliad and The Odyssey Boxed Set by Homer