How to Request Permission
Please make your request in writing as soon as you know what material you wish to use and have the necessary details.
Your written request should include the following information about our material:
- The title of our book (not your source book if that is other than our book)
- Our author's, editor's and translator's full name
- Identify the material by title and/or chapter and/or pages (only if your source is our book) and the author and translator, if they are different from the book;
- Identify figures, illustrations, charts, cartoons, etc. Providing copies of the material is often the best. (N.B. always check for credit information for these items. The acknowledgment may credit another source, in which case you should direct your inquiry as noted, not to us.)
- Include Publisher/Imprint (e.g. Viking, Perigee, Dutton, Donald I. Fine, Putnam, Tarcher, Penguin, NAL, Signet, etc.)
- ISBN of our book, if available.
Your request should include the following information about your use:
- Your publisher or producer;
- Title, author, editor of your publication;
- If it is a book: is it hardcover and/or paperback; what is the length of your book; number of copies in first printing; retail price; publication date (month & year); territory needed (e.g. U.S., Canada, or World).
- If it is a CD-ROM, audiocassette, provide the same details.
- If this is for a non-profit magazine, supply name of publication, date of issue, total circulation, frequency of publication, territory of distribution, cover price, if any and length.
If your source is a collection, anthology, textbook, magazine, or any publication other than ours, review the copyright acknowledgment page(s) to locate the information pertaining to the original source for the material you wish to use. That information is relevant to your request.
If your source is a paperback, please check the copyright page carefully to determine the original hardcover publisher, or with which publisher arrangements were made for publication of the paperback and make your application to the original U.S. publisher.
Send written requests to: Permissions Department, Penguin Group (USA) Inc. 375 Hudson Street, New York, NY 10014 OR fax to 212 366 2943, OR apply via our Permissions web site. The main Permissions Department phone number is 212 366 2684.
All requests for juvenile/young adult titles should be directed to Mary Sullivan, Penguin Group (USA) Juvenile Contracts, 345 Hudson Street, New York, NY 10014 or fax to 212 414 3340. The phone number for Juvenile/Young Adult permissions is 212 414 3553.
Back to top...