The Signal and the Noise
Why So Many Predictions Failbut Some Don't
Official Rules for the The Signal and the Noise Bookplate Giveaway
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE WILL NOT ENHANCE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
Open to residents of the fifty United States and the District of Columbia, age 18 or older.
How to Enter:
- To enter the Signal and the Noise Bookplate Giveaway (the "Giveaway"), review these Official Rules and enter in one of two ways: (1) if you have pre-ordered the book, fill out the entry form with your full name and mailing address, or (2) if you have not pre-ordered the book, please send a 3-½" x5" postcard with your full name and mailing address to Penguin Press Marketing, 375 Hudson Street, New York, NY 10014, Attention: The Signal and the Noise Bookplate Giveaway. Entries may be sent via this website or via postal mail only and must be received no later than September 27, 2012, 11:59:59 PM, Eastern Time. Limit one entry per household. The sole determinant of time for the purposes of receipt of a valid entry will be the computer servers of Penguin Press, an imprint of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. ("Sponsor"). Proof of transmission (screenshots or captures, etc.) does not constitute proof of receipt.
- Entries are void if they are in whole or in part illegible or incomplete. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for late, lost, incomplete, illegible or misdirected entries.
- Sponsor and its parent, subsidiary or affiliated companies are not responsible for technical, hardware or software malfunctions of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, or failed, incorrect, incomplete, inaccurate, garbled or delayed electronic communications caused by the sender, or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this Giveaway which may limit the ability to play or participate, or by any human error which may occur in the processing of the entries in this Giveaway. If for any reason the Giveaway is not capable of being conducted as described in these rules, Sponsor shall have the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Giveaway. In the event of a dispute over the identity of an online entrant, entry will be deemed submitted by the authorized holder of the email account.
- The first one thousand (1,000) eligible entries submitted to and received by Sponsor by September 27, 2012, 11:59:59 PM ET will be winners. Winners will be determined by Sponsor, whose decisions concerning all matters related to this Giveaway are final and binding.
- Winners will receive a prize via postal mail. The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received within the relevant time period.
- One thousand (1,000) winners will each receive a book plate signed by Nate Silver, the author of The Signal and the Noise. These bookplates are postcard-size stickers and have an ink stamp of a chart, as the author is a statistician. Winners can affix the signed bookplates to their copies of The Signal and the Noise (Approximate Retail Value = $1.00 each).
- In the event that there are less than one thousand (1,000) eligible entries Sponsor reserves the right not to award any prizes.
This Giveaway is open to residents of the fifty United States and the District of Columbia, age 18 or older. Employees of Sponsor and its parent company, subsidiaries, affiliates or other parties in anyway involved in the development, production, or distribution of this Giveaway, as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings, children) and household members of each such employee are not eligible to participate in the Giveaway. Void where prohibited by law. All state and local restrictions apply.
- No substitutions, transfers or assignments of prizes allowed by winners. In the event of unavailability, Sponsor may substitute a prize of equal or greater value.
- All expenses, including taxes (if any), related to receipt and use of prize are the sole responsibility of the winners.
- Should the ARV of the prize equal or exceed $600.00, winners shall be required to provide a Social Security Number or a Taxpayer Identification Number to Sponsor for issuance of a 1099 Form.
- By accepting a prize, winner grants to Sponsor the right to use his/her name, likeness, hometown, and biographical information in advertising and promotional materials, including posting on the Sponsor's website, without further compensation or permission, except where prohibited by law.
- By entering this Giveaway and/or accepting a prize, entrants release Sponsor, its parent, subsidiary or affiliated companies, or the agencies of any of them and the authors and/or editors of any books promoted hereby from any and all liability for any loss, harm, injuries, damages, cost or expense arising out of or relating to participation in this Giveaway or the acceptance, use or misuse of the prize.
- Any dispute arising from this Giveaway will be determined according to the laws of the State of New York, without reference to its conflict of law principles, and the entrants consent to the personal jurisdiction of the state and federal courts located in New York County and agree that such courts have exclusive jurisdiction over all such disputes.
To receive a copy of the winners list, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope by March 27, 2013 to Penguin Press Marketing, 375 Hudson Street, New York, NY 10014, Attention: The Signal and the Noise Bookplate Giveaway Winners List.
An imprint of Penguin Group (USA) Inc.
375 Hudson Street
New York, New York 10014
Please alert me via email when: