Official Rules for the Cooked Bookplate Sweepstakes
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE WILL NOT ENHANCE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
Open to residents of the fifty United States and the District of Columbia, age 13 or older.
How to Enter:
- To enter the Cooked Bookplate Sweepstakes (the "Sweepstakes") read these Official Rules and enter in one of two ways: (1) Send an email with your hardcover or e-book pre-order purchase receipt for Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation to email@example.com with Cooked in the subject line and your full name, age and mailing address in the body of the email. A proof of purchase can be any of the following: a screenshot, scan or photo of your receipt, or if you ordered online, simply attach your online receipt to the email. Personal information may be deleted from product purchase. The receipt may be dated before the start date of the Sweepstakes, but must be received no later than the end date; or (2) if you have not pre-ordered the book, please send a 3-1/2" x 5" postcard with your full name, age and mailing address to Penguin Press Marketing, 375 Hudson Street, New York, NY 10014, Attn.: Cooked Bookplate Sweepstakes. Sweepstakes begins March 29, 2013. Entries may be sent via this website or via postal mail only and must be received no later than April 18, 2013, 11:59:59 PM Eastern Time (ET). Limit one entry per household. The sole determinant of time for the purposes of receipt of a valid entry will be the computer servers of Penguin Press, an imprint of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. ("Sponsor"). Proof of transmission (screenshots or captures, etc.) does not constitute proof of receipt.
- Entries are void if they are in whole or in part illegible or incomplete. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for late, lost, incomplete, inaccurate, illegible or misdirected entries.
- Sponsor and its parent, subsidiaries or affiliated companies are not responsible for technical, hardware, or software malfunctions of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, or failed, incorrect, incomplete, inaccurate, garbled or delayed electronic communications caused by the sender, or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this Sweepstakes which may limit the ability to play or participate, or by any human error which may occur in the processing of the entries in this Sweepstakes. If for any reason the Sweepstakes is not capable of being conducted as described in these rules, Sponsor shall have the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Sweepstakes. In the event of a dispute over the identity of an online entrant, entry will be deemed submitted by the authorized holder of the email account.
- From all eligible entries received, two-thousand (2,000) winners will be chosen in a random drawing held on or about April 25, 2013. Winners will be determined by Sponsor, whose decisions concerning all matters related to this Sweepstakes are final and binding.
- Winners will receive a prize via postal mail. The odds of winning depend on the total number of eligible entries received.
- Two thousand (2,000) winners will each receive a numbered bookplate signed by the author of Cooked, Michael Pollan (Approximate Retail Value = $1.00 each; $2,000.00 total).
- In the event that there is an insufficient number of entries, Sponsor reserves the right not to award any or all of the prizes.
This Sweepstakes is open to residents of the fifty United States and the District of Columbia, age 13 or older. Employees of Sponsor and its parent company, subsidiaries, affiliates or other parties in anyway involved in the development, production, or distribution of this Sweepstakes, as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings, children) and household members of each such employee are not eligible to participate in the Sweepstakes. Void where prohibited by law. All state and local restrictions apply.
- No substitutions, transfers or assignments of prizes allowed. In the event of unavailability, Sponsor may substitute a prize of equal or greater value.
- All expenses, including taxes (if any) related to receipt and use of prize, are the sole responsibility of the winners.
- Should the ARV of the prize equal or exceed $600.00, winners shall be required to provide a Social Security Number or a Taxpayer Identification Number to Sponsor for issuance of a 1099 Form.
- By accepting a prize, winners grant to Sponsor the right to use their names, likenesses, hometowns and biographical information in advertising and promotional materials relating to the subject matter of this Sweepstakes, including posting on the Sponsor's websites, without further compensation or permission, except where prohibited by law.
- By competing in this Sweepstakes and/or accepting a prize, entrants release Sponsor, its parent, subsidiaries, affiliated companies and the agencies of any of them and the authors or editors of any books promoted hereby from any and all liability for any loss, harm, injuries, damages, cost or expense, arising out of or relating to participation in this Sweepstakes or the acceptance, use or misuse of the prize.
- Any dispute arising from this Sweepstakes will be determined according to the laws of the State of New York, without reference to its conflict of law principles, and the entrants consent to the personal jurisdiction of the state and federal courts located in New York County and agree that such courts have exclusive jurisdiction over all such disputes.
To receive a copy of the winners list, please send a self-addressed, stamped envelope by October 25, 2013 to Penguin Press Marketing, 375 Hudson Street, New York, NY 10014, Attention: Cooked Bookplate Sweepstakes Winners List.
An imprint of Penguin Group (USA) Inc.
375 Hudson Street
New York, New York 10014