Please make your request in writing as soon as you know what material you wish to use and have the necessary details.
Your written request should include the following information about our material:
- The title of our book (not your source book if that is other than our book)
- Our author's, editor's and translator's full name
- Identify the material by title and/or chapter and/or pages (only if your source is our book) and the author and translator, if they are different from the book;
- Identify figures, illustrations, charts, cartoons, etc. Providing copies of the material is often the best. (N.B. always check for credit information for these items. The acknowledgment may credit another source, in which case you should direct your inquiry as noted, not to us.)
- Include Publisher/Imprint (e.g. Viking, Perigee, Dutton, Donald I. Fine, Putnam, Tarcher, Penguin, NAL, Signet, etc.)
- ISBN of our book, if available.
Your request should include the following information about your use:
- Name and address of publisher or company.
- The formats you are requesting (CD-ROM, eBook, website, etc.)
- What is the title of your product, article, selection; and/or URL of your website?
- Indicate the number of total lifetime copies and/or users of each format of your publication.
- Tentative price of your product.
- If web use requested, is this a for profit, or non-profit site?
- Do you wish to allow the end-user to print or otherwise reproduce multiple copies of this material?
- Is site subscriber-access, password-protected?
- What territory do you require?
- What is the date (mm/dd/yyyy) of your initial release?
- Your complete contact information including a mailing and e-mail address.
- If this is a reuse, please supply copy of previous grant.
If your source is a collection, anthology, textbook, magazine, or any publication other than ours, review the copyright acknowledgment page(s) to locate the information pertaining to the original source for the material you wish to use. That information is relevant to your request.
If your source is a paperback, please check the copyright page carefully to determine the original hardcover publisher, or with which publisher arrangements were made for publication of the paperback and make your application to the original U.S. publisher.
Send Written requests to:
Apply via our Permissions web site (preferred)
By US Mail: Permissions Department, Penguin Group (USA) Inc. 375 Hudson Street, New York, NY 10014
By fax: (212) 366-2943
By e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. (Adult titles only.)
Please note that the Juvenile Permissions Department does NOT accept requests via email.
The main Adult Permissions phone number is (212) 366-2684.
The main Juvenile Permissions phone number is (212) 366-2241.