Permissions is a grant of rights for the use of an excerpt from copyrighted material to be used in another work. Examples might be a short quotation from one book used in another book, a poem to be used in another book of poetry, a chart from a book to be used in a corporate newsletter, a short story to be copied for classroom use, etc.
Back to top...
The Penguin Group (USA) permissions department can process requests for Penguin Group (USA), Inc titles for rights including:
- Permissions (The use of a portion of one of our publications in your book.)
- Copies for Classroom use (Copying a portion of one of our publications, generally for classroom or educational use.)
- Non-Profit Second Serial (The use of a portion of one of our publications in a non-profit magazine/newsletter/journal after the publication date of our book.)
- Non-Profit Electronic (The use of a portion of one of our publications on your CD-Rom or non-profit web site.)
- Audio Recording (The use of a portion of one of our publications in audio format on cassette, CD, etc.)
- Book as prop (The use of one of our book covers/jackets as a prop in a film or on television.)
- Musical Setting (The right to set material from our publications to music.)
- Amateur Dramatic Rights (For select titles where Penguin controls these rights.)
- Digital Copies for Disabled Students (Permission for a post-secondary educational institution to create 1 digital copy of a Penguin title for use by a print disabled student.)
- Reprint (The right to reprint an entire book.)
- Translation (The right to translate an entire book into another language.)
- Professional Performing (Motion Picture, Television, Radio and Dramatic rights.)
- First Serial (Use of material from a Penguin Group (USA) title which has not yet been published.)
- Commercial Second Serial (Use of material from a Penguin Group (USA) title in a commercial newspaper or magazine.)
- Commercial Web Site (Use of material from a Penguin Group (USA) title on a commercial web-site.)
Just click on one of the links below:
- Guidelines for regular print permissions requests, or combined print/e-book/audio uses
- Guidelines for photocopies or electronic reserve for Classroom or Educational use
- Guidelines for Second Serial (Non-Profit Magazine) Use
- Guidelines for Electronic/Online Use
- Guidelines for Audio Use
- Guidelines for Musical Setting Requests
- Guidelines for Dramatic Rights
- Guidelines for Book as Prop
- Guidelines for Digital Copies for Disabled Students
All requests, whether received by internet, fax or US Mail, are handled in chronological order. Titles requiring staff research may take six to eight weeks to process. More common titles may be handled in a shorter time frame. All contracts require original signatures and are sent out by regular mail.
Back to top...
Don't apply for permission at this time. Granting permission requires full publishing details. When you have a signed contract with a publisher, that's the time to request permission clearance.
Back to top...
Send Written requests to:
Apply via our Permissions web site (preferred)
By US Mail: Permissions Department, Penguin Group (USA) Inc. 375 Hudson Street, New York, NY 10014
By fax: (212) 366-2943
By e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. (Adult titles only.)
Please note that the Juvenile Permissions Department does NOT accept requests via email.
The main Adult Permissions phone number is (212) 366-2684.
The main Juvenile Permissions phone number is (212) 366-2241.Back to top...