How to Enter Your Cover Design
The nice people at Penguin were so impressed with fan-made covers for The Fault in Our Stars that they've decided to let youwell, one of you, anywaydesign the next paperback of An Abundance of Katherines.
Submit your design to firstname.lastname@example.org for the opportunity to win your cover design and cover credit on the paperback. All submissions need to come through the email address, and make sure your files are RGB formatted jpegs, and at least 72 dpi (but no bigger than 2mb). The size of the book is 5 1/2" by 8 1/4", if that helps any.
And don't forget to include your name, address, email, age, and telephone number in the email! The contest ends on November 21st! Thanks for all your designs, and as we say in my hometown of nerdfighteria:
Don't forget to be awesome.
Scroll down for more information and the Official Rules.
Previous Covers for An Abundance of Katherines
Enter for the opportunity to have your design published as the cover of a trade paperback edition of An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (ARV: $9.99)
No purchase necessary.
Open to residents of the fifty United States and the District of Columbia, age 13 or older.
Contest begins October 19, 2011. Entries must be sent via email to email@example.com and received no later than November 21, 2011, 11.59:59 PM Eastern Time.
On or about January 6, 2012, one winner will be chosen by a qualified panel of judges including author John Green and others selected by Sponsor.
Void where prohibited by law.
Read Full Official Rules
Official Rules for the
An Abundance of Covers Contest
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE WILL NOT ENHANCE YOUR OPPORTUNITY TO WIN.
Open to residents of the fifty United States and the District of Columbia, age 13 or older.
How to Enter:
- To enter the An Abundance of Covers Contest (the "Contest"), entrants must submit their design, including illustrations and type, for the cover of a trade paperback edition of An Abundance of Katherines by John Green. Entries must be in color and a trim size of not larger than 5-1/2" x 8-1/4", and must be sent electronically via email in a jpeg file format only, a minimum of 72 dpi (dots per inch). The email to which the entry is attached must include the contestant's full name, email address, age, mailing address and telephone number. Entries should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Contest begins October 19, 2011 and all entries must be received no later than November 21, 2011, 11:59:59 PM Eastern Time. There is no limit to the number of designs entered per contestant; however each design may be submitted only once. The sole determinant of time for the purposes of receipt of a valid entry will be the computer servers of Speak, an imprint of Penguin Young Readers Group, a division of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. ("Sponsor"). Proof of transmission (screenshots or captures, etc.) does not constitute proof of receipt.
- Entries will not be returned. By entering the Contest, contestants agree to abide by these rules, and represent and warrant that the entries are their own and original creations, and do not violate or infringe the rights, including, without limitation, copyrights, trademark rights or rights of publicity/privacy, of any third party. This means that your entries must be created by you, whether they are drawn, painted or photographed. If you use other design elements or images from the Internet, you need to make sure the images are in the public domain (such as free-use images available from Wikimedia Commons or free Clip Art websites) or you will need to get permission from the owner of the copyright to use those images. This may be the owner of the website, but could also be someone else; it is your responsibility to find the copyright owner and obtain permission for this use of their work. Just because an image is on the Internet does not mean that that you or Penguin Young Readers Group will be able to use it. If you are not sure whether or not you need permission to use an image from the Internet, talk to your parent or guardian. Once we select a winning entry, we will notify the contestant and ask for written documentation that the contestant has the right to use all elements of the cover design. If the contestant does not have permission to use any part of the cover design, or if permission to use any part of the cover design cannot otherwise be obtained, that entry will be considered ineligible and we will then select another winning entry. These restrictions regarding permissions also apply to "runner up" entries; we will not post any entries on our website unless we are sure the contestant has obtained all required permissions. Contestants further grant to Sponsor the right to edit, adapt, publish, copy, display and otherwise use their entries for purposes of this Contest without further permission, notice or compensation, including display on Sponsor's and/or the author's websites, except where prohibited by law.
- Entries are void if they are in whole or in part illegible or incomplete. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for late, lost, incomplete, illegible or misdirected email entries.
- Sponsor and its parent, subsidiary or affiliated companies are not responsible for technical, hardware or software malfunctions of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, or failed, incorrect, incomplete, inaccurate, garbled or delayed electronic communications caused by the sender, or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this Contest which may limit the ability to play or participate, or by any human error which may occur in the processing of the entries. If for any reason the Contest is not capable of being conducted as described in these rules, Sponsor shall have the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest. In the event of a dispute over the identity of an online entrant, entry will be deemed submitted by the authorized holder of the email account.
- On or about January 6, 2012, one winner will be selected by a qualified panel of judges including author John Green and others chosen by Sponsor.
- Entries will be judged on content and creativity and how well the design reflects the story, with equal weight being given to each criterion. The decisions of the Sponsor with respect to the selection of the winners, and in regard to all matter relating to this Contest, shall be final and binding.
- Winner will be notified via email and/or telephone.
- One winner will be chosen to have his or her cover design used on a trade paperback edition of An Abundance of Katherines, by John Green, being published in May/June 2012, along with a design credit and a copy of the book featuring his/her winning cover illustration (Approximate Retail Value: $9.99).
- In the event that there is an insufficient number of qualified entries or if the Sponsor determines in its absolute discretion that no or too few entries meet the quality standards established to award the prizes, Sponsor reserves the right not to award the prizes.
Open to residents of the fifty United States and the District of Columbia, age 13 or older. Employees of Sponsor and its parent company, subsidiaries, affiliates or other parties in any way involved in the development, production or distribution of this Contest, as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings, children) and household members of each such employee and the author are not eligible to participate in the Contest. Void where prohibited by law. All state and local restrictions apply.
- No cash substitution, transfer or assignment of prizes allowed. In the event of the unavailability of a prize or prizes, Sponsor may substitute a prize or prizes of equal or greater value.
- All expenses, including taxes (if any), related to receipt and use of prizes are the sole responsibility of the winner.
- Winner may be required to execute an Affidavit of Eligibility and Release. The Affidavit must be returned within fourteen (14) days of notification or winner will forfeit their prize and another winner will be selected. If a selected winner is under eighteen (18) years of age, his/her parent or legal guardian will be required to sign the Affidavit. Should the ARV equal or exceed $600.00, winners shall be required to provide a Social Security Number or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number to Sponsor for issuance of a 1099 Form.
- By accepting a prize, the winner grants to Sponsor and the author to use his/her name, likeness, and biographical information in advertising and promotional materials, including on Sponsor's and author's websites, without further compensation or permission, except where prohibited by law.
- By participating in the Contest and/or accepting the prize, contestants release Sponsor, its parent, subsidiary and affiliated companies or the agencies of any of them and the author of the book promoted hereby from any liability, injury, damages, cost or expense, including reasonable attorney's fees, arising out of or connected to participation in this contest or the acceptance, possession, use or misuse of any prizes.
- Any dispute arising from this Contest will be determined according to the laws of the State of New York, without reference to its conflict of law principles, and the entrants consent to the personal jurisdiction of the state and federal courts located in New York County and agree that such courts have exclusive jurisdiction over all such disputes.
For the name of the winner, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope by June 1, 2012 to Penguin Young Readers Marketing, 345 Hudson Street, New York, NY 10014, Attention: An Abundance of Covers Contest Winners List.
Speak, an imprint of Penguin Young Readers Group
A Division of Penguin Group (USA) Inc.
345 Hudson Street
New York, New York 10014